Monday, May 6, 2013

Culminating Reflection and Self – Evaluation Blog post


I believe that for Early Childhood Development a lot of critical thinking was needed to complete my project because it involved me to come up with an appropriate lesson plan for the preschoolers. I also had to read my mentors child development book to understand the important stages in preschool kids. For example, I read about motor skills which is using your muscles to pick up things or do to things and I didn’t really see it until I went to the preschool and a teacher randomly pointed out to the preschooler that she was using her motor skills when she was trying to push play dough out of a toy and that’s when I realized that I really had to think outside the box. Communication with my mentor, preschool teachers, and the preschoolers was essential for my project because it’s what allowed me to collaborate with them. It’s also a major that requires a lot of verbal communication because you are constantly talking to kids and helping teachers when needed. I tried to be creative as possible with my project by making it stand out from all the other child development projects because child development is supposed to be the best years of a preschooler’s life. And so I made a lesson plan where shapes, patterns, and coloring patterns were involved in just a simple Christmas tree art project. And s that’s where critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity helped me complete all aspects of my Capstone project.
I gained a wonderful experience from my Capstone project because I really enjoyed going to the preschool when I had the chances to go. I really enjoyed being with kids because I felt that I learned so much about them. I also liked helping them make art projects and I really enjoyed it when they would tell me about how important certain things were to them and about how much value certain toys had to them. I also liked how this project involved me to be more social by publicly speaking and talking to a group of kids when before it was hard for me to talk to a group of kids or even my own classmates. Intellectually it has made me into a more confident person then from how I was before and I love it. I love my project because it made me realize that child development is something that I really want to do in college because it is something that I would really look forward to each and every day. It’s a job that I would really enjoy doing because I feel that children have such creative minds that it’s so adorable. It has been such an amazing experience for me that I would want to do this project again.
I personally feel that I did not encounter any problems because I actually found my mentor a week before the Capstone project was even introduced. I would also visit my mentor at least once a week to discuss things about child development. I even completed my hours in four days. My mentor has helped me so much with my project that I was even offered to work with them at the summer camp that they are having in the summer. Once I do that, they will either place me in a preschool or at an after school program depending on how my college schedule goes. I was really organized that there was no time for procrastination. Plus it was something that I really enjoyed doing and it was something that I looked forward to going each and every time I had the chance to volunteer at the preschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment